Friday, July 16, 2010

Action Research- What I've Learned

Action research is a cyclical process administrators use to evaluate their own processes by asking leading questions, collecting data, collaboratively finding solutions to found situations, implementing change as needed, and then evaluating those results. In Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as an action researcher Dana (2009) provides a very succinct definition of action research or practitioner inquiry, “…systemic, intentional study of one’s own professional practice” (p. 9). Action research is a collaborative effort in which questions are raised by those practitioners within the organization and those questions are based upon their own concerns. Those same constituents then work to find solutions to or ways to improve situations; they collect data, and then evaluate effectiveness. The process does not end once evaluation has occurred. There is room for continuous improvement within every organization and administrative inquiry is the means to achieving that goal. I can use action research to help my campus continually improve as well as in my classroom to help achieve the goal of improved student academic performance. If my students are performing well academically then the research can provide the intrinsic motivation I need to continue doing what I do and to continually improve my teaching as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment